A lot of business owners start their businesses with an extremely small budget so it makes sense do everything themselves including putting up their websites. With the many variety of site builder tools provided by web hosting companies and FREE non self hosted services like Blogger, WordPress.com and etc, you can get a good looking site up in less than a day.
So you say to yourself why would you need the services of a trained web designer, if you can get it done on your own.
Sooner or later, it gets to the point where you need your business website to reflect your commitment to your business.
Do not think that the well informed potential client would have a positive impression when they view your website as “homemade”.
Here are some of the assumptions that they will form:
- You are new in business: Being new in business should not be perceived as negative but truth be told, people would be reluctant to want to buy from a person that is just starting out. You should not blatantly promote that a potential client would be your first client. You should promote your expertise and previous experience.
- Your business isn’t making any money: If people see a “Free website by Blah Blah” on the footer of your website, they would think “Can’t afford a paid-for website”.
- You don’t have clients and/or customers: People want to deal with businesses that have a proven track record.
- You are not committed to the business: This means that you can pack up shop tomorrow and not finish their project or provide after sale care.
Did you know that these conclusions would be drawn in less than a minute? All of these assumptions would take them to your competitors, period.
These are some of the reasons to hire a professional web designer:
- Many are business owners themselves
- They understand what gives a positive or negative impression
- They provide more than just web design
- Many are trained not only in web design but web development, search engine optimization, internet marketing and more; and have in depth knowledge and experience in these areas
- Many don’t charge an arm and a leg, they have affordable services packages to meet the needs and budget of a potential client
A very important thing that I continue to see in successful business owners and I’m privileged to continue to connect with many; is that they delegate to experts in fields that they don’t have the a background or in depth experience in.
Remember, First Impress Counts! and Anything Worth Doing is Worth Doing Well!